Posted by on April 16, 2018 3:33 am

Thunder suspend announcer who said Russell Westbrook was ‘out of his cotton-picking mind.’

While Russell Westbrook was pursuing enough rebounds in the Thunder’s season finale to clinch a triple-double season average, Thunder TV play-by-play announcer Brian Davis accentuated a nice pass by saying “Westbrook is ‘out of his cotton-picking mind.’

The modifier “cotton-picking” is an exclamatory phrase. Davis seemingly meant that Westbrook was playing out of his mind, a compliment. But the phrase is tangled in a history in which slaves primarily picked cotton in the South.

Read the full story at NBC Sports…

13 responses to NBA Announcer Suspended For Questionable ‘Racist’ Remark… Listen And Decide For Yourself

1. LL April 14th, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Ridiculous

2. #Never Aspirin April 14th, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Because these’s cotton on top of the bottle, too. Look at those clouds all white and puffy, staring down on me….when does it end? No Cottonelle either I guess…..

3. Jerry April 14th, 2018 at 1:17 pm

What he meant to say was Westbrook was whipping the competition …. Oh wait..

4. Strayhorse April 14th, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Please do not use the words “white, yellow, red, brown, pink, green or black” in any sentence ever again or you could be thought a racist. OMG. PC creeped back into America again. SNOWFLAKES! Ooops, sorry, snow – white-PC-racist inference-no, cause there AIN’T NO OTHER COLOR SNOWFLAKES BUT WHITE you dope. my bad!

• smith April 15th, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Please refrain from using the term “snowflake” when referring to anyone but Senator Jeff Flake, the senator from Arizona who was born in Snowflake, Arizona.

(I kid you not! Look it up!)

/snark

5. Mike April 14th, 2018 at 2:46 pm

if racism is on your mind you will find it everywhere… those that are questioning the announcer are the one with racism on the brain

6. Neil April 14th, 2018 at 3:16 pm

This is what we’ve come to, enjoy the world you lefties have created,guess what you have to live in it too. I’d wager an NBA announcer is a big lib.

7. Victor April 14th, 2018 at 10:34 pm

I am having a beer with friend whose dad was an Englishman and never lived a day in his life in the US. My friend informs me that his dad used the ‘cotton pickin’ line all the time. It is an old English expression.

8. JM April 15th, 2018 at 4:27 pm

That’s a real stretch to construe as racist… if he had said, “Westbrook is outta’ his spearchuckin’ mind,” or “that porch monkey is on a roll,” or “that jungle bunny is on fire,” then I would say suspend the announcer. But “cotton pickin'” is not race specific… it can refer to red necks, too.

9. RM April 15th, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Bugs Bunny uses this phrase. Are they going after him next? If they do then they will be joining forces with everyone’s favorite confederate soldier Yosemite Sam

10. cal April 16th, 2018 at 2:12 am

The most ridiculous claim of racism I have ever heard was that calling a brown paper bag a…brown paper bag was racist!

11. Sherbrooke April 16th, 2018 at 1:36 pm

ALL the players are black. Isn’t that racist…. or something?

12. WordsFailMe April 17th, 2018 at 5:07 am

I don’t get it. He accused westerjerk of having an actual job during the off-season? and that’s racist?? I thought maybe he said something about wusterhook’s mama…